Sunday, December 14, 2008

Meet Our New Ride...


Our new wheels: welcome the '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer....so sweet. Only 800 bucks. I've always had a secret desire for one of these "endangered Rhino's of the road" as they're so aptly nicknamed. They're also nicknamed "Woodies" which I think is just spectacular. There will be an ongoing battle in our house over which one will stick...Brad rootin' for Rhino and me chirping back, "Woody!..it's Woody!" I had the priviledge of taking her on her maiden voyage, about a 10 mile spin from Shasta Lake to home. We attached the new plates, gave her some choke, and I slid behind the wheel, proud new owner. As I cautiously slipped her into gear the handle broke off in my hand...I also figured out a few blocks down the road that the brake was on...thank God, I was thinkin' something was wrong! From there on she cruised easily along...at 10 MPG. As I pulled into our apartment complex I saw my elderly neighbor Claire hangin' outside. "Do you like my new car?" I asked cheerily. "Why, yes", she replied. "It has a very nice rumble to it. Is it a diesel?" Um, no. I must admit I had to deal with some fossil-fuel-guilt-issues over buying this car. To overcome them I have determined that my new challenge is to drive as little as possible...at least until we can obtain a little "green" tin car that gets at least 34 MPG. And Brad will keep biking to work. And in reality, this is what we could afford. Everything else listed around $1000 had appealing descriptions like, "runs occasionally", or "only 279,000 miles", or "needs some minor work...especially a new transmission". And so we have our Rhino/Woody car...justified. And I am in guilt-free love.

2 comments:

  1. "Rhinewood" is awesome. I love it too! Can't wait to ride in it, it has character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! So much fun to break out of the mold and buy something groovy, huh?! And I love the price tag... =)

    ReplyDelete